Monday, October 8, 2012

"The Rewards of Reading"

As we return to school for the second quarter, here's a short flyer from the National Association of Elementary School Principals which explains "The Rewards of Reading" and shares ideas when reading with your children.

Personally, I loved to read with my students at school and with my three sons when they were younger.  Now that I'm a grandmother, I love reading with my grandsons whenever we visit them (they don't live in Hawaii).  I found that even the most rascal children settle down and listen attentively when I read a book that piques their interest.  One of the greatest indicators of success when children start school is whether they've been read to at home. Even though students read books in school, we encourage parents to spend time sharing books with children at home.

Here's a quote which I love and which I have lived by.  Of course, today, we should also include "father" in the poem.

"You may have tangible wealth untold. 
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold. 
Richer than I you can never be – 
I had a mother who read to me."
Strickland Gillilan

If you are interested in a workshop on reading with your children, let me know and we can set something up.  Email me at jan_iwase@notes.k12.hi.us. 

Thank you!
Jan Iwase. Principal
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments positive. If you have concerns please send an email to hkesPCNC@gmail.com and we will respond to you.